Fear of the unknown is a sensation that people experience when they are about to face certain situations that they do not know where will take them. As human beings, we are all afraid of the unknown; we often find ourselves devoid of blurriness or uncertainty. Part of our movements and our thoughts are usually directed towards a partial reduction of what does not seem very clear or precise to us.
As a patient, the human being preferred to have clear and bad news over a completely uncomfortable diagnosis against which he could not adjust. The desire to know is an existential necessity in man because knowledge is often associated with power, and therefore ignorance would approach weakness.
- Let’s stop for a moment, put on our evolutionary glasses, and look at this propensity on the scale of human history.
- Theories and observations show that the men who decided to settle, instead of constantly traveling through the mountains, had more and more viable descendants and natural selection in their favor.
- So we all inherit some of that saving fear from what’s on the other side of the mountain.
- This fear of uncertainty has its reason for being and its proper function adapted to a specific context.
- He supported the sedentarization of man and participated in his survival throughout the millennia.
These are some of the symptoms that some of the people who suffer from this irrational disorder to the unknown can present, which affects the lives of patients, who often cannot control themselves.
- It is important to seek specialized help; in this way, it will be easier to control the fear.
- Decide to accept the obvious: sometimes you don’t know and can’t.
- It is not a question here of resigning ourselves to a destiny that surpasses us but of consciously choosing a behavior, a small step that takes us out of our lethargy.
- Acceptance has the long-term effect of feeling and perceiving uncertainty more calmly and engaging with it in what is important to you.
- Day by day, acceptance will allow you to open up to what is happening and could happen to you and prepare you to receive it as a guest.
You can also read: Fear Of Falling In Love: Acceptance, Causes, Symptoms, Treatments.
- Accept the unknown to handle fear.
- Why be afraid of something we don’t know?
- The answer lies in the question: we are frightened by our inability to determine the object of our fears.
- We face a total loss of control, we have nothing under control, and this lack of visibility generates fear.
- A first step in minimizing this fear is therefore Accepting the unknown.
- However, this acceptance implies another preliminary work: abandoning our need for control.
- This is a light exercise: let it go. But that’s where we can minimize the impact of stress on ourselves.
- We quickly realize that this stress will bring us nothing constructive if we think coherently about our fears.
Hello, how are you? My name is Georgia Tarrant, and I am a clinical psychologist. In everyday life, professional obligations seem to predominate over our personal life. It's as if work takes up more and more of the time we'd love to devote to our love life, our family, or even a moment of leisure.